The Carousel Content type can be used to add featured content to an existing carousel, typically on the homepage of your site. It can used to feature content with a full-width image, headline, and link to another page on your site or external source.
If you are wanting to add a carousel or slider of images (with our without captions), consider adding the Photo Gallery element on any page.
Use Carousels with Caution
While many content creators like using carousels to allow more content options to be presented at the top of a website, user research shows that users often do not engage with this content. Your site visitors may never click through the carousel and see important content you want them to interact with. Carousels may also not work well on small screens or for accessibility.
The module that allows carousel functionality is not enabled in Quickstart by default. See below for info on enabling the carousel.
Before adding a carousel, consider prioritizing what content your users needs and explore other ways of featuring that content.
Carousel image recommendations
- Minimum dimensions: 1400px (wide) x 500px (tall)
- Image will be cropped to respond to various screen sizes
Add Carousel Item
- Navigate to Manage > Content.
- Click Add Content button.
- Select Carousel Item.
- Enter Title. This will be the headline on the carousel item.
- Select Add Media to upload media from your computer or select from the media library.
- Add an optional Short Summary. This text will display below the headline on the carousel item.
- Under Call to Action add the URL and Link text if you want the carousel item to link to a page on your site or external site.
The new carousel item will appear in the homepage carousel.
Reorder Carousel Items
- When logged into your site, you should see a button to reorder people at the top of your directory page. Or you can go directly to: <sitename>/admin/az-carousel/reorder-carousel-items
- Ensure Show Row Weights is visible on the top right above Main Content.
- If Hide Row Weights is showing, select that.
- Look for the small cross on the left of the carousel item you wish to move.
- Click and as you hold, drag the person to its desired location.
- Save Order.
The module that allows carousel functionality is not enabled in Quickstart by default.
Site Administrators can:
- Go to Extend from the top toolbar.
- Search for the Quickstart Carousel Item module.
- Check the box next to the Quickstart Carousel Item module.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page to enable the module.
Note: By default, the carousel block will appear in the Featured Content region of your site's homepage.
By default, the carousel block will appear in the Featured Content region of your site's homepage. You can change/move the block under Block Layout.
Content administrators can:
- Navigate to Manage > Structure > Block layout
- Locate the AZ Carousel: Carousel Block and click Configure
- In the Pages section under Visibility, select either Show for the listed pages or Hide for the listed pages.
- Enter the file path (the /path section of the URL following the main site URL)
- For the Home page, the path is <front>
- Under Region choose the region from the dropdown for where you want the carousel block to appear.
- Save block.